Saturday 30 April 2011

Stone Crucible Planter

As I make little stone pots, troughs and planters, I am always on the lookout for new planting ideas to show them off in interesting and different ways.  In the May issue of Gardens Illustrated magazine they have a feature 'Perfect Pots' - long lasting plant combinations that will keep your containers looking fantastic from spring to summer.

When I next make a large planter I am going to try their grasses planting with little deep purple black viola.  I was also intrigued by the crucible, the oval taper of the pot and the sempervivum planting looked lovely.  Here's my version.

Stone Crucible pots - © Jennifer Tetlow

Plants do seem to like stone pots and thrive in them, so these houseleeks will soon be established, romping over the edges and throwing out little babies.

I'm hoping they'll last longer than just to summer though - as with time and the seasons,  the pots begin to show signs of beautiful weathering, with lichen mottling and soft colour variations.  I love the way stone mellows and ages.

Stone Crucible pots - © Jennifer Tetlow

3 comments:

  1. these are so beautifully simple, elegant, classic. Oh, I wish you weren't across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment over on my blog. I didn't know they had a sculpture trail. Sounds good! What lovely work you make! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou both, I have a bit of a soft-spot for planters, so many different ways of filling and arranging them - each one a little garden on its own.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...