Wednesday 16 January 2013

Feeding Birds in cold weather

In this bitter cold and wintery weather I feel so much for my birds - a little wren is complaining like mad in the workshop - it has made a roost with moss, straw and goose feathers in the corner of a shelf in the shed where I work, and doesn't want the noise of me chiseling and moving stone around, and doesn't want to go out either!  Other birds follow me waiting for fresh seed and nuts - they really need their water too and happily stand in the birdbath, even when bathed - must be warmer than the snow and ice for their little feet.  When snow is on the ground and frozen, foraging becomes difficult for small birds and unless they get food they just don't survive the winter.

New bird feeders ready to hang

Today I thought I would help them along, and make a special winter treat to ensure they were filled up with plenty energy for the long, cold night.  Smelling lardy, but worth it.

Treat for my garden birds - winter recipe bird food

I've mixed up seeds, peanuts, berries, dried mealworms, breadcrumbs and grated cheese with lard and squidged it all together and then spooned it into coconut halves.  I attached some string hangers and suspended them from branches near the nut feeders.

 Blue-tit at the feeder

Almost immediately the birds were feeding from them - the Blue-tits seem to boss the feeders here - so I put some on the bird table too, so everyone had a chance to get some. 

What sort of mix do you put out for your birds in Winter - do they have a favourite food?

A robin visits the bird table hungry for a meal


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use sunflower seeds, I have started making bird feeders out of plastic bottles. I cut windows near the base and it stops the seeds freezing to the table and keeps the seeds drier and protects against deep snow. I think it also stops the Nuthatch seeing off the smaller birds and the Magpies can't get to them. Breadcrumbs for Blackbirds and Robins, although not sure how good this is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I love the idea of the plastic bottles - protection in all ways! They do love bread don't they?

      Delete
  3. Our robins look very different. They are largish birds and only their chest is rusty red. Since it doesn't snow here, I just put out regular seed but there are still plants with berries on them around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a mixed seed? On my walk I collected berries to add to my mix - they're really gobbling it up.

      Delete
  4. That's a good tip collecting berries. I could dry some for winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd thought to, having to go further and further afield to collect. I suppose you would have to re-hydrate - could freeze them too I suppose.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...