Tuesday 29 March 2011

Snails in my Garden

During my gardening work I have come across a multitude of snails, it seems every time I move a stone there is one stuck underneath, or a family of them.  I've seen varied shell shapes, some colourful patterns, some tiny brown ones and others with yellow stripes.  It has slowed me down as I check each time I move anything, to avoid crushing and squishing - I pluck them off and find a safe place to put them.  I feel sorry about disturbing their chosen spot and hope they will survive the move. 

Jennifer Tetlow Snail carved in Yorkstone © 2011
 
I remembered a piece of stone in the workshop with swirly iron-ore marking, which I thought looked just like the snail shells.  It was my hope that the banding would come perfectly  in the coil of the shell, but I missed slightly, and it ended up on top!

Jennifer Tetlow Snail carved in Yorkstone © 2011


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the snail! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snail is very good, has the sense of a soft body and a hard shell, clever. We have Burgundy snails here, much bigger.I have seen a few small ones on the move in the rain. I must take some photos for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the snail. Like you I find then everywhere and try to gently put them somewhere safe. I have many empty shells, beautiful patterns and colours I like to capture in a drawing.
    Your sculptures are beautiful, you are very skillful.
    millyx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...