Thursday 21 July 2011

Art in Action, Waterperry House, Oxford

Today I'm setting off for Art in Action at Waterperry House in Oxford and I'm thoroughly excited - in effect I'm setting up my workshop there for the next few days, and will be carving a fresh block of stone and showing everyone how I go about creating and carving a sculpture.  Also really excited about all the other artists and talented people I will meet, and for the wonderful atmosphere that is created by a gathering of this sort - in fact its unique of its kind I think.  Let me know what you think - after watching this, or if you have been before, or if you're going this year.

I will be demonstrating stone carving throughout the event, which runs until Sunday, and I've prepared some boards to illustrate my processes, from initial drawings through to the carving, roughing out, refining and finishing and some details about tools.


More excitement is that I'm going to stop off on the way and collect Soapstone and Alabaster, maybe even some marble from Nigel Owen Stone.  This is a stone yard in Yelvertoft in Northants, and one of my very favourite places to go.  They supply Polyphant (soapstone) from a Cornish quarry they own, which is the stone I used when carving Otter, and Polar Bear.  I know I am going to overspend, but it is such beautiful stone, it is impossible to resist - is my van big enough?

What a perfect trip!  Come and see everything that's going on at Art in Action if you can, I'll even let you do a bit of carving! 

2 comments:

  1. I would love to be able to have a go with you at some carving! We know Waterperry quite well as Ben our son studied furniture making at Thame and the fig tree outside the kitchen up here, came from Waterperry gardens. Have a wonderful fruitful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful event. I would definitely attend if I was over there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...