Having been at Newby Hall on Sunday, (at the Spring Plant Fair) it is impossible not mention the great carving that stood proud over us throughout the day.
It forms a sort of roundabout where a number of estate roads meet close to the house, an impressive carrara marble statue on a tall plinth.
The carving is of a mounted figure, holding reins in left hand and staff in the right. The horse stands over a cowering figure with left hand raised to protect himself. The statue was made in Italy and originally represented John Sobieski, King of Poland, trampling a Turk.
It commemorated his victory in Vienna. The statue was bought in 1675 by Sir Robert Vyner (the goldsmith responsible for Charles II's Coronation regalia) who brought it to the Stocks Market, London at the Restoration. Sir Robert had the head refashioned to represent Charles II and the lower figure represented Oliver Cromwell. In 1739 the site was taken for the construction of the Mansion House and the statue was removed to an inn yard, then to the Vyner estate in Lincolnshire. Lady Mary Robinson of Newby married Henry Vyner and inherited Newby Hall in 1859. The statue was brought to Newby Park in 1883.