Tuesday 16 August 2011

Sculpture by the Lakes

I've always been a huge admirer of Simon Gudgeon's work and remember being so excited when Isis was unveiled in Hyde Park in 2009.

I don't think I have words better than the description on the Simon Gudgeon Homepage.

'One of Britain’s leading contemporary sculptors, Simon Gudgeon has a signature smooth style that marvellously concentrates spirit and nature. His minimalist, semi-abstract forms depict both movement and emotion of a moment captured with a visual harmony that is unmistakably his own.'

I find his work beautifully sensitive, sculpture which draws my gaze for long periods.

How pleased I was to learn about the new Sculpture by the Lakes.  Set in twenty six acres of stunning Dorset countryside and bordered by the tranquil River Frome, Sculpture by the Lakes provides the perfect venue to view and appreciate outdoor sculpture in beautiful surroundings.




It is that combination of art and landscape that inspires Sculpture by the Lakes. Whether it is work on a monumental scale that relates to its environment or smaller works that personlise more intimate areas, each sculpture has been placed to visually enhance its surroundings.  This has been achieved to stunning effect by Simon Gudgeon's bronze sculpture, fluid forms with patination giving life in nature's hue.

The aim is to show the importance of outdoor sculpture in the environment and inspire people with the possibilities of what they can achieve in their own gardens.



All in tandem with my recent thoughts about garden sculpture.  I have promised myself a treat to visit when my exhibition A Sense of Place is finished in September.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there is a sculpture exhibition on by the Frome in Dorset. That is not far from us so we will try to visit . Simon Gudgeon`s work looks wonderful. Thank you. I shall follow your links and find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was nearer - actually there is a special event, Sculpture by the Stars - an evening of classic music round the lakes - this Saturday 20th Aug which sounds brilliant - do let me know all about it when you go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...